Thursday, January 19, 2012

One Year Home

I can't believe that next week, on January 28th, we will be celebrating the one year anniversary of the day we arrived home - exhausted, emotional, relieved, excited, and afraid - after our second trip to Ethiopia.

This past year has been amazing. Very, very hard, trying, and exhausting, but amazing. As I put together a video of our first year together, I was in awe of how far Markos has come and how much he's changed and grown. Seeing his tiny, frail body which first wore size 2T (at 4.5 years old), now wearing size 4 & 5. Hearing him talk in the videos with more Amharic than English, now hearing him speak incredible English with an adorable accent. Seeing my tired expression as I held him close having woken with him 5 to 6 times the night before, now rarely ever getting up with him at night. We've come so far.

Yet, when he and I were talking earlier today and I said, "Wow Markos, next week will be the one year anniversary of when you came to America! You've been here a whole year already!", I was surprised (and saddened) when he got a panicked look on his face and asked, "I'm going back to Ethiopia?!". Oh baby, no. You're part of our family FOREVER now.

Day by day, week by week, month by month, things get easier. We've come so far, but still have such a long way to go. Looking back and seeing the smiles, and hearing the laughter, and remembering the joy and excitement helps. Helps me more confidently say, the best is yet to come!!

And this past year has been A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!

One Year Home!





2 comments:

  1. beautiful. it's wonderful to look back and chart the growth, isn't it? and wonderful to look ahead and envision all the amazing things God has in store.

    happy one year home, markos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm late to this party but had to pop on here and say "no way has it been a year!" Seems like just yesterday.

    Happy year Markos. God is good!

    ReplyDelete