Friday, November 18, 2011

Month of Gratitude - Day 18

My friend, Brandy, and I have been trying to get together to walk, talk, and visit since she moved a few months ago.   Seems like every time we make plans, something happens with one of our kids, cars, husbands, or houses.  When we made plans to meet today, I jokingly said, "OK, I'll see you at 10:30 on Friday.  Pray that nothing tragic happens for either of us between now and then." 
 So, the fact that I had to cancel shouldn't have come as a surprise. 

Daniel has been sick the past week or so.  Just a cough and cold.  Then a few days ago, his stomach was hurting, but only for a few hours and nothing serious.  Then, last night, while we were eating dinner, I was sitting across from him.  I literally watched a small hive appear on his cheek, and then watched as the redness around it grew throughout dinner.  At first, I didn't say anything.  Then, he started scratching at it so I asked him about it.  (While panicked thoughts filled my head, 'oh no!!  What could he be eating NOW that he is developing an allergy to?!') 
"Dan, does your cheek itch, because it looks like you're getting hives?"  To which, he jumps up and says, "oh yeah, that reminds me - look at my leg," as he pulls up his pants' legs to reveal hives all over his calves on both legs

My initial reaction:  "what did you eat today?"  "are you sure you didn't eat something you shouldn't?"

Nothing we could figure, so he took his prescription medicines for all his allergies, along with a double dose of Benadryl and went to bed.  This morning, he woke with hives all over his face, legs, arms, chest, back, even his poor little ears!  :-(  And so, off to the Dr. we went.

The doctor, whom I like a lot, said that it's basically a secondary allergic reaction to the virus that he probably had last week, or as he likes to call it,
"SSR as a result of SSV"
(translation:  Some Sort of Rash as a result of Some Sort of Virus) 

My poor little buddy.  It's always something with him.  He really hasn't had it easy with all his food allergies, environmental allergies, and sensory issues.  But the thing is, you'd never know it.  He rarely complains.  He rarely acts miserable.  I know he's going to be the child of mine who ends up with a broken bone someday, which I don't realize until days later, and then end up feeling like a schmuck when the doctor asks when he did it. 
 
When I reel off the list of all of his food allergies, people often say, "oh, poor kid".  His friends' moms call when they're having birthday parties and feel bad about not having anything that he can have.  When we go trick-or-treating and he can't eat 99% of the candy that he gets, the other kids feel bad for him.  And yet, most of the time, Daniel is totally fine with it.  Occasionally, he'll whine that he can't have something, but usually, he just takes it (and everything else) in stride.  As his mom, it's hard to manage all the allergies, but truthfully, he makes it SO much easier than it could be just by his very nature.



Today, hives and all, I am thankful for my middle child, Daniel.


He is:

funny


quirky

You mean your kids don't get thrilled over getting their own laundry basket filled with tinker toys and empty toilet paper tubes for Christmas?!


Unique

Hey!  So what if I play hockey but still drink from a sippy cup!  I like it!

creative
Who doesn't paint in nothing but their underwear and a smock?
For my next masterpiece, I shall dump all the crayons and markers, use them to draw all over the table, and then stand on it!


adventurous
WEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!


helpful

laid-back

fun-loving

sensitive

loving


caring


sweet


athletic


And Such A Blessing!!




No comments:

Post a Comment