Saturday, August 13, 2011

More Firsts: Pittsburgh Zoo

We interrupt the previously started vacation posts to bring you pictures from the zoo.

Sorting through the 1,000 pictures from the beach trip is proving to be more of a project than I have time for, so I thought I'd go ahead and skip ahead and post the pictures from our visit to the zoo on Thursday first.  

As some of you already know, the day started out a little rocky...bloody really....as I attempted to quickly open the stroller in the parking lot at the zoo by holding the side bars and flipping it up in the air so it snapped open.  Problem was that my thumb just happened to be right where the 2 side bars snap together, thereby crushing my thumb in between.  As to save you all from nausea and certain cringing, I will avoid posting the pictures that I snapped to send to Eric to have him help me ascertain whether or not I should be heading to the hospital.  Suffice it to say that I nearly passed out...and nearly threw up....broke out in a sweat and got the shakes.  Thankfully, after my sweet boy, Daniel, brought me the First Aid kit and said, "here you go, Mommy!", I was able to wrap a bunch of gauze around it, avoid looking at it, and make it through the zoo without moving it or touching anything.  About 9 hours later, when Eric got home from work, I went to MedExpress to have them clean it up and remove the dead skin -- mistakenly thinking that they'd numb it first!!! -- and discovered that I actually broke the bone in 2 places.  Super.

Anyway, the boys weren't affected much by my little stroller mishap, so they had a fun day at the zoo.  When Markos and Daniel talked about the zoo on the way and Daniel told him what animals they'd see, Markos said so many funny things.  He was concerned about the monkeys and rather or not they'd bite him.  I suspect that this was a concern because they actually do have monkeys in Ethiopia and Markos has told me before that they were mean.  When we talked about the elephants and how there was a baby, Markos smiled and said in the most adorable voice, "awww!  Can I hold him?".  I said no and Markos asked, "he's big?".  I said yes and Markos said, "he has big feet?".  I said yes and he further clarified, "he squish me?".    Yes, honey, the baby elephant would still squish you.   I asked Markos what animal he wanted to see the most at the zoo.  He said a cow.  He was disappointed that they weren't going to have cows at the zoo.  (mental note:  must plan trip to Round Hill Farm to see the cows)

No cows, but we saw the usual's at the zoo:
snow leopard, tigers, lions, komodo dragon, leopards, flamingos, elephants, antelopes, monkeys, bears, polar bears, sharks, beaver, otters, kangaroos, loads of different types of fish, deer, and sea lions.
Markos said his favorite animal was the zebras, but honestly, I didn't see any zebras.  He swears he did, though.  Daniel's favorite was the leopard who was sitting up against the glass in full, close-up view.  It WAS a beautiful cat.  HUGE feet with spots all the way down to his toes.  I was sad that my favorite - the penguins - weren't swimming and playing like usual.  They were all just standing around.  Daniel theorized that the water was too cold for them.  I didn't agree, but let it go.

It was a beautiful day - sunny and high 70's, maybe low 80's.  Nice breeze.  Not so hot that the monkey house smell smacked you in the face when you walked into the building.  That's always a plus!  We steered clear of the bat room though.  That's a smell that just isn't O.K....EVER!  Particularly not when your thumb is throbbing and you've already nearly vomited once that day.

We ate our packed lunches and the boys played in Kids' Kingdom on the slides for a while.  The deer in the deer yard did not come near the path so the boys didn't get to pet them.  However, the kangaroos were more playful than I've ever seen them.  Their legs reminded me of Lily.  That can't be a good sign.  The boys went in the petting area to see the goats and sheep.  Markos was afraid of them.  I was a little surprised by that.  He eventually followed Daniel's lead (as always) and touched the animals.  Then, the boys played in the water mister - longer than they should have -  and ended up soaking wet.  A few snacks in the car and a not-nearly-long-enough nap for Markos on the way home, and our first trip to the zoo was complete.  All in all a good day.

The boys with map in hand, ready to start out


Markos and Daniel watching the elephants

Watching the gorillas

Look at the size of that fish!



Markos sliding down the slide in Kids' Kingdom



Markos and Daniel sitting on the turtle

Checking out the camel

Daniel petting one of the goats

Playing in the mister

Watching for the sea lions







Posing by the giant praying mantis

No comments:

Post a Comment