Tuesday, April 26, 2011

We're GO-ing to Haiti!


Mackenzie and I were hoping to take a mission trip to Congo, Africa with our church this fall.  Eric was planning to stay with the boys while she and I went.  We would use some of our tax refund to take the trip.  However, as it turned out, the cost, timing, and work that is being planned to be done on that particular trip make it such that it isn't exactly the sort of trip that I was envisioning for she and I to take together.  So, we began researching other options and talking to some friends and reading about trips that some of my adoption friends have taken.  And, I am happy to say that we are headed to Port-au-Prince, Haiti in September!

We are going with an organization called The Global Orphan Project.  We will be there for 5 days, from September 1 - September 5.  It works out perfectly because for whatever reason, the Bethel Park School District decided that the kids aren't going back to school next year until September 12th.  Therefore, Mackenzie won't have to miss school.  We will be gone over Labor Day Weekend, so Eric will only have to take 2 or 3 days off work (or work from home for those couple of days) instead of having to take a week or two.  And, the cost is much less to fly to Haiti than to fly to Congo.

We will be spending our time in several different orphanages, just loving on the kids and babies, playing games with them, singing with them, making crafts with them, holding them, and making sure that they know that Jesus loves them and so do we!

I am so excited for Mackenzie to have this opportunity to see how children live in other parts of the world.  One of my greatest desires for my children is for them to be blessed with a spirit of contentment.  To know how fortunate they are and not to always be wanting for more.  And I want God to break their hearts for the "least of these" around the world.  I know it might sound strange to want my childrens' hearts to be broken, but I do.  I do because I believe that real fulfillment comes from the Lord.  True peace comes from being in God's will.  True joy comes from serving, from loving, and from giving, not from having and getting more.

I am also hopeful that while we are there, we will have the opportunity to meet one of our Compassion-sponsored children, Maxxon, who lives in Port-au-Prince.  We've been sponsoring him for about 6 years now.  We've watched him grow from a tiny little toddler, into a handsome boy.  I have already talked with The Global Orphan staff and am now waiting to hear back from the Compassion staff.  It's going to be tricky to arrange with our busy schedule, but I hope, hope, hope that we will be able to meet him.  We prayed so much for he and his family during the aftermath of the earthquake.  So grateful that, although they lost their home and everything they had, they all survived.  I just want to give them a big hug!


The Global Orphan Project: Hundreds GO BIG for the small from The Global Orphan Project on Vimeo.


2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Lori. This will be a life changing trip for your daughter--one she will never forget. I hope you both have an eye-opening, wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! This is so exciting. I can't wait to hear about all of it upon your return!!!!

    ReplyDelete