Sunday, April 24, 2011

Melkam Fasika! Happy Easter!

We survived another holiday at the crazy house.   The kids were supposed to have school on Good Friday due to the Bethel Park teacher's strike, but we didn't send them.  (Although, when they still got up at 7 AM and were fighting by 7:20 AM, I was wishing that I hadn't made the decision to keep them home!)  ;-)   We got up and tidied up the house.  Nancy (aka Nannie) got here around lunchtime and we all went to T.G.I.Fridays for lunch.  Going out to eat is madness anymore.  Seriously.  Even though I really don't like to cook, it's still losing it's appeal.  I'd almost rather just not eat at all.

After lunch, we came back to the house and goofed off for the afternoon.  No one was really hungry at dinner time, but we ate anyway.  After dinner, we went and got frozen yogurt.  It was super crowded so we ended up just getting it to take home.

Saturday, Grammy and Pappy (aka.  my mom and dad) arrived around lunchtime so we ate the leftover chicken fajitas from the night before.  Thankfully, the sun was out so the kids took several walks with Grammy and Nannie.  Kenzie showed a live performance of her Rube Goldberg project for everyone. 


Markos pounching on Pappy.  (Warning:  do not think that you can lay on a couch here and ever be left alone to peacefully rest!)

I don't know how I managed, but I was actually very organized with the meals for the weekend.  I had already prepped everything for the fajitas, as well as made a lasagna and prepped everything for salads before anyone arrived.  We had a nice meal Saturday night together.  Well, as "nice" as meals get around here anyway.  The food was good, the company was loud and far from 'prim and proper', but entertaining nonetheless!

After dinner, the kids got showers and got ready for bed while I got everything ready for my least favorite Easter activity with the kids -- coloring Easter eggs.  I am not sure if there could possibly be a worse combination for a high anxiety, obsessive compulsive person, than a dozen cups full of liquid dye, 3 hyper children, stupid metal things that are supposed to enable spastic, careless children to dip an egg into a paper cup full of liquid, and a bunch of hard boiled eggs!!!!  I'm thinking that maybe next year, if the weather would cooperate, this would be a much better outside activity!

Eric helping Daniel choose a color

Kenzie being super artistic with her eggs

Markos - way too excited to care about what colors he was using

Somehow no matter what colors Markos dipped his eggs in, the combination always made varying shades of green

These eggs look nothing like the beautiful eggs on the box.  I want my money back.

In order to cut back on the chaos (and the overwhelming gifts for Markos), the kids opened their baskets/gifts from Grammy and Pappy and from Nannie on Saturday.   Eric and I even got a little something -- a beautiful Africa book.

Markos opening his basket from Grammy and Pappy


New Wii game that Markos can actually play.  Yay!

"THIS!"

Woo hoo!  A present for Eric and I

Once the kids went to bed, we watched the movie Inception - which I have to say, I hated.  Granted, I was really tired, but about 30 minutes from the end, I found myself thinking, "please, let it be the 'kick'!"..."come on kick"...."kick!  Kick!!".  If you haven't seen the movie, you wouldn't understand.  If you have seen the movie but weren't paying attention, you still might not understand.

Eric had to go to the early service at church to play with the praise band, so after he left, we all got ready and the kids were warned not to go looking for their baskets, that we were doing it after church.  They were OK with it, because when Eric was in the praise team at our other church, we did it after church too.  Markos was super excited about his shirt and tie.  So cute!  Only boy I've ever known who actually wanted to wear it and didn't want to take it off when we got home.

I insisted on taking as many pictures as I could before we left because who can ever know how long the boys will stay clean!!  Mackenzie now cooperates with pictures and Daniel has taken over the role of difficult child who won't smile, whines and cries, and acts as though we've asked for a body part with every picture that is taken.  Honestly, I don't get it.  How hard is it to just stand there, smile, and get it over with?!  I might have popped a few blood vessels, but we managed to get a few cute pictures amongst the drama.

My boys

:-)  Aww.  My babies.

Nannie with her grandkids

Grammy and Pappy with the kids

Stark family - Easter 2011

We went to the 11:00 service at church.  Jeff preached on Hope - one of my favorite scriptures (and the first that I memorized as an adult) -- Jeremiah 29:11 - "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future'." 

Markos went to his class and stayed the entire service (although Eric went down after the band played and hung outside in the hall to intervene when necessary).  After church, we came home and the boys excitedly scoured the house looking for their hidden Easter baskets. More gifts were opened while the Easter meal was cooking.  The boys decided to change into their pajamas, which was fine with me, saves me work later!

Markos and Daniel shoving each other to try to find their Easter basket first.  (Sibling rivalry takes no holiday breaks.)

The kids' baskets before they tore into them


Markos digging through his basket

Mackenzie digging through her basket

Daniel surrounded by his loot


Markos VERY excited about his new helmet

Mackenzie not quite as excited about her helmet as Markos was about his.

Nannie with her gift

Strangely, Eric is the first at the table to eat, and yet, he had just woken up from a nice long nap.  Hmmmm.

What?!  Don't your kids wear their bike helmets to Easter dinner?!!

Let the chaos begin.

After the meal was cleaned up, dishes were done, and we had cake, the grandparents left and I retreated to our bedroom for some alone time.  The loudness continues downstairs as I type, but bedtime is rapidly approaching!  Praise God!

Melkam Fasika!  Happy Easter!  Markos' first Easter with our family.  So grateful that God's plan for Markos' hope and future included us.  He's loud and exhausting, but also so loving, so sweet, and so, so funny!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment