Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homework I'm Happy Not to Help With

The older that Mackenzie gets, the less capable I am of helping her with her homework.  This is why (er, at least one of the reasons why) I'm grateful that I have a very smart husband who is a wonderful compliment to me.  You know -- I'm organized; he's creative.  I'm responsible; he's fun.  :-) 

Seriously though, given the fact that, for some reason when Daniel gets home from school, chaos breaks out every day and continues straight through until bedtime, I'm very happy to have a husband who is capable of and willing to help Mackenzie with things like projects and advanced math (which, just for the record, I could do back in the day.  However, my brain is now fried and it would take a lot of 'remembering' for me to be able to do it again, which means I'd definitely need more than 3 hours of sleep on average each night in order for it to happen and unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon!!)

Recently, the two of them have spent many hours out working in the new shed on her big science project which is due on Friday.  They're doing a physics unit and were required to design and make a Rube Goldberg machine.  If you don't know what that is, Wikipedia describes it as:
A Rube Goldberg machine, device, or apparatus is a deliberately over-engineered machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion, usually including a chain reaction.  The expression is named after American cartoonist and inventor Rube Goldberg.  Since then, the expression has expanded to denote any form of overly confusing or complicated system.
 As I read that definition, I have to chuckle just a little thinking that this was the PERFECT project for Eric to help with.  :-D




Anyway, they did a great job and had fun working on it together.  Dad/daughter quality time at it's best!  Mackenzie designed it, they tweaked her design together, came up with how to build it, and then went to work together.  It turned out very cool and they managed to get their first successful runs tonight and were able to videotape it for her class.  Good thing the teacher allows them to videotape any large projects or projects that can't easily be moved to the school.  I don't think they'd want to risk the mess with Mackenzie dropping Mentos into Diet Coke in the classroom.  Yep, leave it to Eric and Mackenzie to incorporate this into the machine.  It's cool, but if you ask me, a waste of some perfectly good Diet Coke.  (See?  This is why it's good that he helps with these things!)



And there you have it!

1 comment:

  1. LOL. When I read the definition of a Rube Goldberg machine, all I could think was "hey, that sounds like a certain (unnamed) adoption agency's communication design in our adoption case this go round." :)

    ReplyDelete