Friday, December 3, 2010

Ready to Get Off This Crazy Ride!


Wow! This is one crazy ride - this International Adoption thing! (and more often than not, my face has looked like Daniel's in the above picture!!)

On November 22nd, we went to court and were told, "Markos is yours." Awesome!


On November 28th, we heard rumors that there were troubles with licensing renewals of the orphanages in the Southern Region of Ethiopia. Very scary!

On December 1st, we received official word from our agency that there were, in fact, delays and that we would be affected, that nothing would be able to proceed with our adoption (or most other people's either) until after license renewals were complete AT THE END OF DECEMBER! Frustrating and upsetting!

On December 2nd, we heard news that another Holt families' referred baby daughter got sick and passed away in Ethiopia before they had a chance to meet her or hold her. Heart-breaking!


This morning, we officially received word that the orphanage license had been renewed already!! So surprising and exciting!


Then, this afternoon, we heard from two Holt families that are just returning from their court dates. Both of their babies -- one boy and one girl -- were hospitalized while they were there and remain in the hospital. So sad for them!


This is why the waiting is exhausting. The 'ups' and 'downs' seem extreme when they're all beyond your control, when there's nothing you can do, and when you're so far away. But our God is faithful and I'm trying hard to trust Him more and more.


To trust Him to care for Markos when we can't.


To trust Him to strengthen friends who are also on this journey when their 'downs' come.


To trust Him to work out every detail, to oversee the paperwork, to plan the perfect timing.


To trust Him to grow my faith so that I can trust Him.


In the ups and in the downs.


Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.
Psalm 107:1

4 comments:

  1. So well said, Lori. I have felt like I have been on a roller coaster all week, and I didn't like the ride one bit! It is time for some smooth sailing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This journey has made my trust in Him so much more than I could ever imagine. "FAITH" is our word. And when that faith waivers things get rocky. When we "hop" back up in the seat again, He always blesses us....even when we may not understand at the time that it IS a true blessing.

    FYI...I hope some of you from Nov 19 get the Dec 28th embassy date!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember being where you are so many times in our adoption journey. I would always laugh when people would say how much easier adoption must be than giving birth. I've never given birth but there is nothing easy about adopting--especially internationally. While waiting for Guatemala to make our daughter legally ours I would hold on to every rumor and each piece of news to the point that I felt insane at points. Then I found this verse and it is what got me through the wait and the unknowing. I hope it brings you the same peace!

    "But these things I plan won't happen
    right away.

    Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled.

    If it seems slow, be patient! For it will
    surely take place.

    It will not be late by a single day."

    Habakkuk 2:3

    Thinking of you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete