Friday, May 7, 2010

Blessed!

We're still waiting for our dossier invoice so that we can send our dossier to Holt. It's been 4 days since they received our notarized home study. It feels like it's been a month. Waiting stinks - especially for a control freak like me! During this waiting time though, I have noticed a few things. First, my prayer time has increased. Second, I've been thinking about things a lot. Adoption does that I guess. Forces us to rely on God and forces us to consider many things.

Lately I've been thinking about our blessings. Each time I read another news article about Ethiopia or get an update from Holt or read emails from other Holt families about the updates they receive, I'm reminded of how blessed we are and how much we take for granted.

They are doing road construction around the capital of Addis Ababa right now. As a result, the limited electricity that they have is being diverted for use for the construction and, therefore, communication with the capital has been difficult or impossible this week. I am irritated when road construction causes a 5 minute delay in my trip somewhere. Can you imagine losing all electricity for construction?

I was looking over the list from Holt regarding needed donations at the care centers in Ethiopia. Mosquito nets, anti-fungal cream, diaper wipes. Things that we either don't need or things that are so readily available that I can run to the nearest dollar store and buy a case if need be.

Toilet paper, clean running water, antibiotics, electricity, internet, email, cell phones, Diet Coke, Power Bars, Dairy Queen, beds, air conditioning, transportation, silly gummy bracelets in a variety of shapes for my kids to trade with their friends, ice hockey, schools, pharmacies, hospitals, TVs, phones, mail delivery, grocery stores, libraries, the zoo, food, shelter, healthy family members. How blessed I am!!

My devotion for this morning was on this very subject. The author wrote:
If we take it all for granted, if we think life just shows up with this stuff already in place, if we trick ourselves into believing that everyday household items come from the grocery store rather than from a gracious God, we walk right past countless reasons for worship without even knowing it.
Every good gift and every perfect gift comes from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17

We are blessed to be a blessing! And, we are SO VERY blessed!!!

So, although I hate this waiting, I am blessed even in the waiting as I learn to trust in Him and as I am reminded of all that I have to be thankful for. My devotional questions for further thought asked,
  • What are ten things that I have taken for granted recently?
  • Have I allowed myself to have an "entitlement" mentality?
  • What does God really owe me?
Good questions to think about. He owes us nothing, but he chooses to give us a lot. What will we do with all that we've been given?

No comments:

Post a Comment